Coleslaw – Double take
I love coleslaw but the mayonnaise started putting me off so I started experimenting and found that a combination of lemon, olive oil and honey with either mustard or paprika depending on your mood giving a great tangy kick.
This is always a hit with anyone who like coleslaw. I recommend trying both variations, the mustard being a little sharper and the paprika adding a hint of sweet piquantness.
- 1/3 of a medium sized green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/5 of a medium red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 20 ml olive oil
- 20ml lemon juice (approximately 1/2 a lemon squeezed)
- ½ to 1 tspoon salt ( adjust to taste )
- 1 table spoon honey
- 3/4 table spoon quality mustard ( smooth or wholegrain, both work well ) OR
1 tspoon paprika
- Add the lemon, olive oil, honey and salt to a jug and mix well
- Now add either the mustard or paprika to and stir it in
- Place cabbage and grated carrots into a bowl and add the dressing
- Mix well
- Let it sit in the fridge or at room temperature for 15-30 mins before serving. This softens the cabbage a little and lets the flavours seep in
- Mix again before serving as some of the dressing liquid will have settled
- Add to any dish that calls for crunchy lively coleslaw!